Thursday, November 23, 2006

Meeting my host family!


Today I got to meet my host family!

The families were invited to meet us for lunch at a fancy Miyako hotel. It was, by the way, the best meal ever….our very own Thanksgiving feast. My host father was there to meet me, and although he did not speak very much English (actually he knew the following: mom, dad, Grand Canyon, yes, and soup) we had a wonderful meal. There was lots of smiling, a great deal of nodding, some pointing, and a little bit of drawing.

He is an office worker, but also the president of the Miyako High School PTA. He has a 17 year old daughter and a wife, both of which I met later in the day (following a meeting we had with the Miyako PTA at City Hall). I showed him pictures of my family, some trips I have been on, and he lifted up his hand in the air to indicate that Eric was very tall.

This was a nice way to introduce us to our host families, because it was for a shorter time and there was less pressure. It was also nice because we got to plant the seed to them about the things that we would like to do on our day with them. For me, I had the interpreter let him know how lovely I thought the beaches here are and how I would not mind seeing them again: wink, wink.

Later this afternoon, after our meeting with the Miyako PTA, the mother and daughter arrived to meet the father and I-and we all met and took pictures! I am excited to spend the day with them Saturday to Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home