Saturday, November 18, 2006

Hachiko


Today I saw the statue of Hachiko outside of the Shibuya Station in Tokyo.

In the 1920’s there was a professor that lived near the station and everyday his dog, Hachiko, would meet him at the train station after work. The man died in 1925, but for the next 11 years the dog faithfully went to the train station to meet him. Then Hachiko died as well. The story is one of loyalty and love, and there is a statue of the dog that has been built near the place that he used to wait for his owner.

The area that the Shibuya Station is located in is now very, very “hip.” On average the I have found the people of Tokyo very fashionable, but the Shibuya area took this to a whole new level. I am being totally honest when I say that the mass majority of the people looked like they had just walked off the pages of a magazine. I felt as if I had misread the invitation to a black tie event and accidentally showed up wearing blue jeans and sneakers.

1 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats so sweet that a dog would be that loyal!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home